Where is Fyansford?
What is the origin of Fyansford?
History of Fyansford
Fyansford, probably the oldest settlement and the nearest to Geelong being located on the Hamilton Highway to the west of Geelong, was named Fyans' Town or Fyans' Ford after Captain Foster Fyans, the first Police Magistrate for Geelong and district. When Fyans took up his post in 1837, he settled on land near the ford over the Moorabool River and his presence as Magistrate gave the informal settlement an official basis. Geelong was surveyed in 1838 and gazetted as a town on 10 October of tha year (its birthday). The first land sale took place the following year. In his role as 'Protector of Aborigines' he undertook a census of the Aboriginal population, calling upon Buckley to gather the Wathaurong people and count them. Captain Fyans also served as a Councillor, Mayor of the City of Geelong and as Deputy Sheriff. He died in 1870.
Local municipalities often like to regard themselves as progressive so when the Shire of Corio and Bannockburn in 1899 commissioned an engineer, John Monash, to erect a concrete bridge over the Moorabool River at Fyansford, they were regarded as being very far sighted and courageous, if not a little foolish, by leaping into what was then largely untried technology.
How big is Fyansford?
2020 ~ 1,000
2025 ~ 5,000
Click image to access data
the establishment and location of Fyansford?
The Geelong settlement with its port, services and market provided increasingly for the needs of miners attending Ballarat gold fields and for settlers from the Western District.
This growing flow of foot, horseback, wagon and bullock-cart traffic helped blaze the shortest, most practical route to Geelong.
The most direct passage from the Western District to Geelong required careful navigation across the Moorabool / Barwon rivers, up the steep buttress flanking the rivers and passage around any geographical obstacles.
These long-distance travellers, horses and bullock teams required regular rest-stops with ample watering facilities. The area by the confluence of the Moorabool and Barwon rivers was obviously a very suitable location.
The fertile Moorabool River flats, perfectly situated so close to Geelong, were well-suited to a variety of agricultural pursuits all endeavouring to meet the ever-increasing needs of settlements in the central and western districts of Victoria. The favourable climate was particularly suited to the cultivation of vineyard, orchard and market-gardening produce.
As the area became more settled with more substantial dwellings and public works being undertaken, the local deposits of quality bluestone, sandstone and limestone were discovered, quarried and proven to be financially viable with numerous local associated industries proving successful.
With the gradual increase in the relative comfort, ease and availability of transport, Geelong became increasingly accessible with a gradual increase in the number of citizens dwelling in the locality either commuting to work nearby, working in local businesses or labouring on nearby properties.
Click image to enlarge
Perhaps the major factor impacting on the location of the road linking Geelong with the Western District and, thus, the positioning of Fyansford, is the local topography.
The series of maps in the gallery below clearly demonstrate why the major road to the west cuts directly through Fyansford.
It can be seen why the road comes down from the relatively flat plain to the west -
through a gap between two large outcrops of bluestone,
across the Moorabool River at a location best suited for a ford
up a long steady incline to the top of what was to be later called Fyansford hill and then
down a gentle slope to the city of Geelong.
These three maps show the elevation at points along the road route.
The simplified map below shows the road as it navigates problem aspects: bluestone outcrops, river crossing and rise up escarpment.
It was obvious to early settlers that any ford across the Moorabool River would be best located upstream from the junction of the two rivers and that this would, in turn, be a logical location for any settlement that might develop in the area. The erection of a public house and general store within the immediate vicinity facilitated development of the local community.
Gen Fyansford streets were named after "World War 1 soldiers that came from the area".
One street, Gugger Place, was named after the Gugger family; owners of the Fyansford general store back in the 1920s.
Gen Fyansford sold '80%' of their current West End offerings.
The new roundabout, located at the Hyland Street / Hamilton Highway intersection was built at a cost of $3.72 million.
Approx. 5,000 vehicles drive through Fyansford daily.
Statistics from developer ICD show buyers from Hamlyn Heights and Highton alone account for 20 per cent of the Gen Fyansford sales.
Did you know....
A 2015 RPM survey of purchasers of land in the Gen Fyansford estate revealed:
61% are new home-builders.
57% plan to build a 'single storey' house.
42% plan to build a house (incl. garage) of 21 - 25 squares.
49% plan to commence building "immediately after settlement".
43% think "location" is the best feature of the estate.
82% regard the availability of a Fibre Optic Network as important or very important.
67% are currently living in owner-occupied premises.
89% class themselves as 'owner occupiers' and 11% as 'investors'.
95% say English is their primary language.
38% are families with children.
34% are couples with no children.
49% are in the 25-34 years age-group.
3.5% are over 60 years of age.
70% are 2-car families.
2% are retired.
85% have full-time employment.
2020 Gen Fyansford Big Picture
Peceli and Wendy's Blog
GEELONG VISUAL DIARY
PHOTOS, DRAWINGS, PAINTINGS FROM PECELI AND WENDY ABOUT GEELONG
AND THE BELLARINE PENINSULAR
On Blogger since January, 2006
Wendy is an Australian and lives in Geelong, Australia.
Peceli Ratawa, from the village of Vatuadova, Fiji, passed away on 27th December, 2015.
Wendy, I am so very pleased to see you are still blogging.
You were fortunate to have such a lovely soul-mate as Peceli to share adventures and memories with.
Or, should I say, we were, indeed, fortunate that you and Peceli shared your adventures with us...
A sample from Piceli and Wendy's blog ~ Monday, July 5, 2010
“Considered a heritage village, Fyansford’s old-world charm has been challenged by the developers. In the Geelong Advertiser last December the Council agreed to let the developers go ahead transforming the hillside around the Cement Works (now no longer working but the buildings are still there) into little boxes on the hillside. Meanwhle the little village with a population of about 150 is like Brigadoon, out of time, out of place in the 21st century. Not that I am complaining as it is fascinating. Once thriving with three hotels, three schools, two churches, the ford crossing was the place where the seekers of gold crossed the river heading for the gold fields of Ballarat and Bendigo....“
“We discovered a strange set of greenish wooden steps leading up a steep hillside, no notices, but they were inviting so we climbed up 91 steps to find a field of grass, probably belonging to a farmer with a house that looks like a church. Maybe an old church now redundant. Will they need another one for the new development on the nearby hillside? Thousands of new people coming in?..."
Click image to see detail
On Blogger since December 2010
Samples from Jo's blogs: