© John Flatt 2015
2 Senior Downsizers.jpg
Life is ....jpg
Fyansford.com.jpg

Fyansford Bridge

Fyans' ford Hotel

Balmoral inn

post office

state school

Barwon Paper mills

asylum / orphanage

flour mill house

old swan inn

1843

Fyanstown Inn Clarkes Road Off Hamilton Highway Fyansfor

The Fyanstown Inn, later known as the Swan Inn, was built by its first licensee John Atkins at a cost of £3,000 on the western bank of the Moorabool

In time Atkins "went broke" and the inn became a private home.   

It later re-emerged as The Swan Inn.

The site, celebrated for its scenic value, was captured by artists such as Samuel Calvert.

1846

Ford built across the Moorabool River 

A painting by Charles Norton shows the ford

1852-3

The old Post Office 

1852-3               Estimated construction of premises (used as a house and shop)

1856                   Bakery

1859-1978         Premises served as a post office (with varied owners)

1928 – 1970       Norman Albert Gugger’s store

1933                    Alfred Gugger built the adjacent house

1970+                  Used as an antique and doll shop

*  For more detail

I have concerns about the accuracy of some of these dates/details. Can you help?

1854

First Bridge built across the Moorabool 

A timber bridge built across the Moorabool River to meet the growing needs of the Western District.

1854

Balmoral Hotel 66 Hyland Street Fyansford

Balmoral Hotel of Fyansford, a single storey brick structure, in a picturesque Gothic Revival style was erected for publican James Roger Miller.

Mid 1900s

While the original form remained intact the Balmoral underwent considerable renovations.

1854

Fyansford Steam Flour Mill 2 Atkins Street Fyansford

The four storey Fyansford steam-powered flour mill was built by Godfrey Barthold and Lowe from locally quarried bluestone. The mill outhouse was occupied by Barthold and Lowe.

1860s

The stilll-standing flour mill house (judging from its style) appears to have been built at this time.

1870ish          

The mill was sold to Mr. Charles Hopton.

1876

A photograph of the Moorabool River Valley shows the mill, possibly abutting the Mill House (still existing) to the south and a two storey addition to the east.

1885   

A newspaper article describes the building as the 'old flour mill on the bank of the Moorabool River at Fyansford', suggesting that perhaps the buildings were perhaps derelict and no longer in use.

1889   

Top two floors of the building were removed and the bottom floor re-roofed.

The building was then used by the community as a dance hall, library and recreation club.

1920s  

The remainder of the building was demolished due to the expansion of Australian Portland Cement.

1934   

A single-storey Interwar bungalow was constructed partly over the former site of the flour mill.

It was built by William McEwan, a former mechanic.

It was reported that some of the fabric used to construct the house was taken from the demolished mill.

 

See also: Jo Mitchell's Barwon Blog and second relevant blog

1854 - 55

Fyansford Hotel

The Fyans Ford Hotel, a transitional Colonial Georgian style, two-storey, brick hotel, was erected for publican C.B. Dawson. It was built immediately following the gold rushes.

 

1855

Former Protestant Orphanage / Asylum / Common School

The Protestant Orphanage Asylum was erected to the design of noted Geelong architect Andrew McWilliams.

1856

Flour Mill House 2 Atkins Street Fyansford

The Victorian Vernacular styed 'Flour Mill' house demonstrates a once common but now a relatively rare nineteenth century cottage type home. 

 

Other resource: 

1876-78

Barwon Paper Mill Complex

Barwon Paper Mill industrial complex was constructed of local bluestone and brick. It comprised the original mill buildings, manager's house (1878), a row of six workers cottages (1878), a stone water race with impeller, tower and stone weir. The Australian paper manufacturers company owned the Barwon Mill from 1895 to 1929. The mill ceased operation in 1923.

1900

Fyansford Monier Bridge 

The three-arch Monier bridge of reinforced concrete constructed over the Moorabool River ~ designed and built by Melbourne engineers, Monash & Anderson

1927- 33

Buckley Falls Pumping Station

 (Published by Barwon Region Water Authority in 2005) reports:

“Drought led to the decision to construct a pumping station on the Barwon river at Buckley Falls"

“Trust began using three pumps to transfer water from a weir built across the Barwon River, near Buckley Falls, into the Montpellier service basins”

1928

"Pumping from Buckley Falls pumping station recommenced”

1929

Trust complained about the quality of the water from the water from the Barwon system

1931

“Temporary weir at Buckley Falls dismantled"

1933

"The emergency pumping station was removed"

Other resource: 

 

 

1970

Fyansford next Bridge 

A new bridge was built on the site of the old wooden bridge

2014

Gen Fyansford

The first allocation of Riverside Estate lots are sold

"The Victorian Vernacular sytled 'Flour Mill' house ... demonstrates a once common but now a relatively rare nineteenth century cottage type home in Fyansford, of the mid nineteenth century. This includes the form, materials, chimney and verandah. It is .... associated with the production of flour in the earliest factory-type industry in Fyansford ...."

Source: On MY Doorstep

 

"An 1876 photograph of the Moorabool River Valley shows the mill, possibly abutting the Mill House (still extant) to the south and a two storey addition to the east .... An extant single storey Interwar bungalow was constructed partly over the former site of the flour mill in 1934. It was built by William McEwan, a former mechanic. Local rumors report that some of the fabric used to construct the house was taken from the demolished mill. This however has never been verified ...."

Source: Victorian Heritage Database Report

2 Atkins Street, Fyansford